What financial support is available for me during this COVID 19 crisis

This article can be accessed via Ignite Minds blog - please see other important articles www.igniteminds.com.au/blog


If you are suffering financial hardship you will be eligible for a grant to cover the costs of childcare for 13 weeks. Please call the office on 90361504 to discuss your situation.


The grant will pay you 120% of the CCS (up to $13.32 pe hour) payments for 13 weeks.   Where your educators usual fee is higher than this Ignite Minds will impose a cap on the fee to $13.32 so you will not be out of pocket.

This grant is important because:

  • You will need to look for alternative work
  • You will need childcare
  • Your educators viability is at stake.

You can find out about eligibility via this link https://guides.dss.gov.au/family-assistance-guide/2/8/3/20

You can apply via MyGov and selecting Centrelink and then 'My Family' the 'Temporary Financial Hardship' see below screenshot.

Screen shot from Centrelink online ACCS application

How much income support is available?

You can access a time-limited coronavirus supplement to be paid at a rate of $550 per fortnight for the next six months.  This will effectively double the current rate of Newstart, which is being renamed the jobseeker payment.

The extra payment will be paid to both existing and new recipients of the jobseeker payment, youth allowance jobseeker, parenting payment, farm household allowance and special benefit.

How to apply.

Please do not risk your health queuing at Centrelink.  Please use the MyGov app or Centrelink Online. The app and website have crashed temporarily under the demand.  Think about starting an application at 4am when demand is less.



Maximum fortnightly payment

Maximum payment with $550 coronavirus supplement

Single, no children



Single, with a dependent child or children



Single, aged 60 or over, after 9 continuous months on payment




$510.80 each

1060.80 each

Single principal carer granted an exemption from mutual obligation requirements for any of the following: foster caring, non-parent relative caring under a court order, home schooling, distance education, large family




I’m a sole trader or self-employed, what can I access?

The government has announced that in the case of sole traders and the self-employed, anyone impacted by the economic downturn triggered by the coronavirus will be able to access the jobseeker payment and the coronavirus supplement. See above.

Applicants will make a declaration to Centrelink that their business has been suspended or had turnover reduced significantly as a result of the downturn.

Sole traders may also benefit from some other support as described in this information from the Small Business Ombudsman in Victoria


What about the $750 payment to households?

The payment will be made from 31 March to all social security, veteran and other income support recipients and eligible concession card holders. This includes those on Newstart, those who have commonwealth seniors health cards, and families receiving family tax benefits.

If you are eligible you will receive this payment automatically

Full details of which payment recipients are eligible are available here.

Who will receive the second $750 payment?

The government will pay an extra $750 payment to social security and veteran income support recipients and eligible concession cardholders.

This won’t be available if you get the $550-a-fortnight coronavirus supplement.

If you are eligible you will receive this payment automatically from 13 July 2020.

Can I now access my super?

The government will allow individuals “in financial stress” as a result of the coronavirus downturn to have limited access to their superannuation savings.

The amount you can access will be capped at up to $10,000 of their superannuation in 2019-20 and a further $10,000 in 2020-21.

To access super you must be on a jobseeker payment and prove financial distress.  

Financial distress means

  • You are on a jobseeker payment

  • You were made redundant or your working hours were reduced by 20% or more after the 1st January

  • Sole traders that have their business suspended or have a reduction in turnover of 20% or more are also eligible.

You can apply via your MyGov app

I am a small business. How is the government helping me?

There a quite a few incentives in place to ensure Business do not lay off staff.  

Please see the ATO information at this link