This article can be accessed via Ignite Minds blog - please see other important articles www.igniteminds.com.au/blog
If you or your partner has lost their job as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic we can apply for 13 weeks fee relief.
Please contact us on 03 90361404 and prepare some written documentation to outline your situation. Documents could include:
- a Medical certificate if you or your partner or child has become infected with COVID-19
- A letter from your employer stating your job has been terminated
- A letter from your employer stating you are un unpaid leave
- a Centrelink separation certificate
- other documentation
The video is a reading of the below transcript.
This is a working document describing how Ignite Minds will respond to the COVID-19 pandemic given different scenarios. This is an evolving document and will be updated as information becomes available
Last updated: 16 March 2020 - Follow us on Facebook for Q&A https://www.facebook.com/IgniteMinds/
Australia is facing a health crisis that has not been felt in our lifetime. Now is the time to take care of yourself, check in on your neighbours and be generous to your community.
Be sensitive to other members of our community. The Australian government is tracing all people that have been in contact with the virus. There is absolutely no place for discrimination or treating people of Asian or Arab appearance with suspicion.
This is a virus that has most adverse affects on the elderly and people with a compromised immune system. Whilst the media is flooded with the latest scientific advice, and I have included some links below, here are some out of the box strategies for reducing the impacts of stress and anxiety so you can boost your immune system.
- Be grateful for something - gratitude is the emotion that reduces anxiety. Anxiety rapidly depletes your immune system.
- Eat fresh fruit and vegetables
- Exercise - walk in the open air
- Listen to your body - if you are depleted now is the time to 'top up' and consult a dietitian or health practitioner.
Ignite Minds Risk profile
Ignite Minds Family Day care has 269 Families enrolling a total of 385 children across 42 Family Day Care centres. This is an average of 6.5 families per educator.
Given the low population at each centre and the geographical spread of Ignite Minds service locations it is possible that some services will be effected and others will remain open.
Current health information is that the virus will peak in the 2 to 4 months so we may be in for a long period of service disruptions and compromise.
We all have to make adjustments and compromise to ensure the health, wellbeing and livelihoods of all members of our community
All staff, educators (including educator family members, assistants, volunteers) enrolled children and enrolled child families will need to be hypervigilant and monitor their own health and symptoms.
People who have returned from a country or region that is at high or moderate risk for COVID-19 should monitor their health closely. If you develop symptoms including a fever and cough you should isolate yourself immediately and urgently seek medical attention. Go to www.health.gov.au/covid19-travellers for the list of at-risk countries.
If there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 at an Ignite Minds service all children and educators will be required to self isolate until gaining medical clearance.
If you have been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 you are required to let Ignite Minds know and self isolate until you obtain medical clearance.
Once cleared families may seek alternative care here https://www.igniteminds.com.au/educator-finder
What if a child, parent or staff member becomes sick while in isolation?
Symptoms include (but are not limited to) fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue and shortness of breath.
If a student/staff member develops mild symptoms, they must:
- Isolate themselves from others at home and use a separate bathroom if available;
- Put on a surgical mask and if they don’t have one, practise good sneeze/cough hygiene;
- Practise good hand hygiene; and
- Call a doctor or hospital and tell them the recent travel or close contact history.
If they have serious symptoms such as difficulty breathing:
- Call 000, ask for an ambulance and notify the officers of the recent travel or close contact history.
More information fact sheets available here https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-schools-and-early-childhood-centres
All customers entering Ignite Minds/Dragonfly Toys shop will be requested to use hand sanitizer.
All contact surfaces, including phones, desks door handles will be sanitised regularly.
The WHO has published an emergency guide to small scale Hand Sanitizer production here https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf
All support staff will ring educators prior to visits to confirm if there are any symptoms prior to attending.
All educators will insist all visitors, children and staff wash hands with soap and water immediately upon arrival.
Where a staff member becomes diagnosed or self isolates due to contact with a confirmed case we will:
- Suspend all support visits
- Suspend all playgroups
- Staff will work from home
Families are requested to ensure all children wash hands with soapy water for the duration of the song 'twinkle twinkle little star' whenever the return home and prior to consumption of food. Where possible please change into home clothes and increase your laundry frequency. Please support us to education your children about not touching their face or putting their fingers in their mouth.
What if my child’s school is closed but my child has not come into contact with a COVID 19 case and does not have any symptoms?
If your school closes because a person your child came into contact with in the 24 hours prior to the confirmed case showing symptoms then your child will need to self isolate and be tested and cleared by a medical practitioner before attending FDC.
If your school is closing as a precaution but has no confirmed cases of COVID-19 or can demonstrate your child had no contact with the confirmed case then you would not be excluded from FDC.
Educators can care for up to 7 children at a time providing that no more than 4 children are younger than school age. (school age means attending school or home school and is usually 5 or 6 years old) Please contact your educator and discuss the possibility of older siblings attending care.
Families who are self isolating or infected may not be covered by paid leave and will experience financial hardship. All working adults should explore unemployment insurance - this is cheapest through your existing super funds.
Educators are independent contractors and do not receive sick leave/ holiday pay or payment where children are not enrolled.
Ignite Minds is dependent on Educator levies to pay admin and coordination staff.
All decisions will be made on a case by case basis and the overriding principle for assessment will be ensuring the health and wellbeing and livelihood of all parties. It is anticipated that there will be a high level of compromise from all parties to ensure the maximum good.
- Where a child or child's family is self isolating but unconfirmed COVID-19 they will be charged a usual absent day and the usual CCS will apply.
- Where a child or child's family is confirmed to have COVID-19 and extended employment leave is not covered by a paid leave arrangement they should immediately provide a medical certificate and letter from employer clearly stating they are on unpaid leave. Ignite Minds will apply for Additional Child Care Subsidy (ACCS) which is up to 120% of the CCS (a maximum of $13.32) per hour. Ignite Minds will apply for ACCS for 13 weeks in anticipation of the financial hardship families will experience during illness and recovery period.
- This will ensure that your educator has some income during your absence and that they can hold your permanent booking for when you recover.
- Where an educator’s usual fee is higher than the ACCS cap, Ignite Minds will impose a cap on the educator fee equivalent to the ACCS, to ensure families are not charged during their sickness or recovery period.
- Children can return to FDC with a medical clearance certificate
- Where children return to care within the 13 week ACCS period, the ACCS will continue however the usual educator fee will apply.
Additional information on support for the Child Care System
Latest COVID- 19 alerts and information